The eight sprinters who might fill the lanes in the 100-meter finals at the U.S. Olympic trials in June in Atlanta, their ages and comments.
* 1. LEROY BURRELL, 29--World-record holder. Hasn't been injury free in almost two years.
* 2. JON DRUMMOND, 27--No. 1 in the United States last year. Still waiting to come through in a major meet.
* 3. MAURICE GREENE, 21--Emerged last year with second place in the national championships. Too young then for international wars. Now?
* 4. TIM HARDEN, 22--NCAA champion. Hasn't shown he is ready for this level.
* 5. JEFF LAYNES, 25--Personal best 10.01 this spring. Starting late to prove he belongs with the elites.
* 6. CARL LEWIS, 34--The best ever. Will be 35 this summer and hasn't run under 10 seconds since 1991.
* 7. MIKE MARSH, 28--Defending national champion. Olympic champion at 200 meters in 1992, still considered a 200 man.
* 8. DENNIS MITCHELL, 30--Bronze medalist in '91 world championships, '92 Olympics. No. 1 in the world in '94. Can he rebound from '95 injuries?