Advertisement

Boy, 7, in Good Condition but Facing Surgery for Burns

TIMES STAFF WRITER

A 7-year-old Palmdale boy burned when he accidentally poured paint thinner on smoldering barbecue coals was in good condition Monday, authorities said.

Israel Lopez suffered second- and third-degree burns to about 12% of his body, said Larry Weinberg, a spokesman for the Grossman Burn Center at Sherman Oaks Hospital and Health Center.

Israel, who is scheduled to undergo surgery and grafting, suffered some of the most serious burns on his right triceps and back.

The accident occurred Saturday at about 11 p.m. at a residence in the 37500 block of 48th Street East, said David Miklos, of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Advertisement

The child, who had wandered to the barbecue, decided to put out the smoldering coals using water, authorities said. He grabbed a nearby soda container that he thought held water, but it was actually filled with paint thinner.

The flammable liquid sparked flames, catching Israel’s baseball uniform on fire, Miklos said. His father quickly rolled the boy on the ground to extinguish the flames.

Miklos said the initial investigation revealed the boy’s injuries were accident. As a matter of standard procedure, however, he said the case would be assigned to the arson unit for further investigation.

Though the burns will leave some scarring, Weinberg said Israel--who should be released from the hospital in less than two weeks--won’t suffer permanent disabilities.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement