BY THE NUMBERS AT FONTANA
* Prices begin at $50 for today’s CART race. Infield RV parking and pit passes are also available. Call (909) 428-9300 or (800) 944-7223.
* 7 a.m.: Facility open to public.
* 9-9:30 a.m.: CART warmup.
* 9:30 a.m.: Rahal last ride tribute.
* 10:30-11 a.m.: Historic champ car parade.
* Noon-12:15 p.m.: Driver parade introductions.
* 12:20 p.m.: National anthem (USC band).
* 12:40 p.m.: Start of the Marlboro 500 presented by Toyota (500 miles/250 laps).
* Last year: England’s Mark Blundell won the inaugural race, taking the lead when Greg Moore’s car slowed because of engine problems with 11 laps left. Jimmy Vasser finished second, 0.847 seconds back.
* Last race: Alex Zanardi won the Australian IndyCarnival on Oct. 18 for his seventh victory of the season. The Italian star clinched his second consecutive series title Sept. 6 in Vancouver, Canada.
* Fast facts: Rahal, 45, is making his final career start. The three-time series champion has 24 victories, including the 1986 Indy 500. He is winless since 1992. . . . Brazil’s Mauricio Gugelmin ran the fastest qualifying lap in Indy-car history last year, averaging 240.942 mph. He went 242.333 in practice, the unofficial fastest lap ever in an open-wheel racer. . . . Zanardi, moving to Formula One next season, missed the season-ending race last year after crashing both of his cars in practice. . . . The race winner will receive $1 million. Second place is worth $60,000.
INDY LIGHTS RESULTS
* Time of race: 39 minutes, 40.916 seconds
* Winner’s average speed: 153.395 mph
* Margin of victory: .373 seconds
* Lap leaders: Renna 1-18, 33-44, 47; Witherill 19, 23; Hotchkis 20-22, 24-32, 45-46, 48-50
FINAL INDY LIGHTS STANDINGS
No. Driver Points
1. Cristiano da Matta: 154
2. Didier Andre: 123
3. Guy Smith: 110
4. Felipe Giaffone: 104
5. Derek Higgins: 94
6. Airton Dare: 78
7. Oriol Servia: 73
8. Tony Renna: 68
9. Geoff Boss: 67
10. Naoki Hattori: 66