Monday is Labor Day. The following schedule will be in effect:
* All city, county, state and federal offices will be closed.
* County, state and federal courthouses will be closed.
* City and county libraries will be closed.
* Banks and savings and loans will be closed.
* Schools: Public schools, including those in session year-round, will be closed as well as community colleges, Chapman University, Cal State Fullerton and UC Irvine.
* Mail: There will be no mail delivery. All post offices will be closed, and mail deposited in mailboxes on that day will be picked up according to the posted holiday schedule.
* Trash: There will be no trash collection. Pickups will be a day late for the rest of the week, except in Anaheim, Brea, Garden Grove, Orange, Placentia, Yorba Linda, Villa Park and Fullerton. In those cities, only Monday pickups will be delayed.
* Buses: Orange County Transportation Authority buses will run on a holiday schedule. ACCESS handicapped service will be available from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. only.
* Metrolink: There will be no Metrolink service.
* Parks: All city- and county-run parks and recreation facilities will be open during regular hours.
What's Going On
* Costa Mesa
South Coast Plaza, near the Discovery Channel Store on level one, 3333 Bristol St., noon to 5 p.m. through Monday, offers extraordinary views of outer space. Eleven photographs from the Hubbell Space Telescope will be on display. Free admission. Information: (714) 557-0656.
Irvine Spectrum Center, 31 Fortune Drive, at the Santa Ana and San Diego freeways, noon to midnight, through Monday, entertainment and activities, including storytelling, bands, jugglers and magicians. A light show begins at 8:30 nightly and continues every half-hour until midnight. Free admission. Information: (949) 789-9180.
* Lake Forest
Saddleback Church, 1 Saddleback Parkway, near El Toro Road and Portola Parkway; 3 to 10 p.m. Sunday, featuring 17 bands, food court, fireworks, children's activities. Admission: $3, or groups of 10, $25. Children under 2 admitted free. Before event, admission wristbands are available at the church office, 23456 Madero, Suite 100, Mission Viejo. Limited tickets are available on day of event. Information: (949) 581-9100, Ext. 5329.
* Newport Beach
Imagination Celebration of Orange County, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, a barbecue, live entertainment, bingo party on board the riverboat in Newport Harbor. Admission: $25 for adults and $10 for children. The boat is at 151 E. Coast Highway and tickets will be available on day of event. Proceeds will support arts education programs. Information and reservations: (949) 833-8500.
* Yorba Linda
The Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace, 18001 Yorba Linda Blvd.; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Monday, features Mt. Rushmore in Sand creation, swing dancers, chalk artists, petting zoo, pet adoptions, world champion K-9 Frisbee shows and other entertainment and activities. Food available. Family Funfest free with regular library admission. Admission: $5.95 for adults and children age 12 and older; $2 for children 8 to 11; $3.95 for seniors 62 and over; and, $4.96 for active military personnel. Children under 7 are free. Information: (714) 993-5075.
One of the county's biggest draws this Labor Day weekend will be the 26th annual Orange International Street Fair, around the traffic circle in Old Towne Orange (below). The festival, today and Sunday, usually attracts nearly half a million visitors. Six live bands will offer everything from rock and swing to jazz and funk. Food representing 15 nationalities will be on sale, along with goods at 68 crafts booths. A petting zoo and other children's attractions are offered in the miniature park inside the circle. Admission is free to the event, which runs from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. at Glassell Street and Chapman Avenue. Alcohol sales end at 9 p.m. The fair is not open Monday. Information: (714) 532-6260.