Infant Dies After Swallowing Balloon

An 8-month-old baby died Sunday after swallowing a balloon, police said.

Responding to a call from the child's parents, police and Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics arrived Sunday night at the family home on the 1000 block of Cambrin Road.

The child, identified by Los Angeles County coroner's officials as Jonathan Gutierrez, was taken to Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, where he died at 10:05 p.m.

Pomona Police Sgt. Elias Valdez said a balloon was removed from the child's throat. Scott Carrier of the coroner's office said Monday that the body had yet to be examined to determine the exact cause of death.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
58°