Gala to Benefit Four Winds School
* Four Winds School’s Gala 2000 runs today from 3 to 6 p.m. at the St. Thomas Aquinas Center, 10000 N. Ojai Road, Santa Paula. There will be live and silent auctions, entertainment, food and drinks. Tickets are $35 each. Proceeds will be directed toward school operating expenses and a new school facility. Information: 646-1113.
Wine Sampling to Aid High School
* Saint Bonaventure High School’s Academic Enrichment Organization hosts the annual “Einstein and Wine” fund-raiser today at 2 p.m. at the Radisson Hotel, 2101 W. Vineyard Ave., Oxnard. Samples from California wineries and restaurants will be offered. Tickets are $25 at the door. Proceeds benefit academics at the high school. Information: 648-6836.
Food and Wine Festival at The Oaks
* The 15th annual Ventura County Food and Wine Festival is today from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. at The Oaks mall, 222 W. Hillcrest Drive, Thousand Oaks. Attendees will receive a souvenir wine glass and sample delicacies from more than 100 restaurants and wineries. There will also be musical entertainment. Tickets are $40 at the door. Proceeds go to the Conejo Valley Rotary Club to benefit local and international charities. Tickets or information: 371-1500.
Volunteers Sought to Help Cancer Society
* The American Cancer Society is recruiting volunteers to assist in the fight against cancer during its 2000 Daffodil Days campaign. The society will sell daffodils through March 1. Volunteers are needed to raise money for lifesaving research, public education and patient programs. They are also needed to drive patients to treatments. To qualify, a person must have a valid driver’s license, insurance and good driving record. Information: 983-8864 or 497-0114.
Nursing Group Offers Training Program
* Livingston Memorial Visiting Nurses Assn. holds a restorative aide training program for 10 consecutive Thursdays beginning March 2 and ending May 4. Each class will run from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at 1966 Eastman Ave. No. 101, Ventura. The curriculum will cover the goals of rehabilitation, roles of the home health aide, anatomy and equipment. The class is designed for certified home health aides and will cost $100. Registration or information: 642-0239, Ext. 705.
Ojai Valley Group to Present Music, Stories
* Ojai Valley Friends and Foundation will present an afternoon of “Short Shorts” featuring music and storytelling March 5 at 2 p.m. at the Ojai Art Center, 113 S. Montgomery St. There will also be art on display for sale. Tickets are $10; children get in for free. Proceeds will benefit the Ojai Valley Library Friends and Foundation and Ojai Art Center. Refreshments will be served. Information: 646-5804.
Golf Tournament to Benefit Caregivers
* The eighth annual “Wearin’ o’ Green” golf tournament will be held on St. Patrick’s Day at the Buenaventura Golf Course, 5882 Olivas Park Drive, Ventura. Registration begins at 6:30 a.m., with a shotgun start at 7:30 a.m. Entry fee is $95, which includes 18 holes of golf, cart, prizes and an Irish buffet lunch at the Wedgewood Banquet Center. Registration deadline is March 13. Proceeds will benefit Caregivers: Volunteers Assisting the Elderly. Information: 658-8530.
Women’s Club to Present Fashion Show
* Westlake Women’s Club holds its annual fund-raising fashion show, luncheon and boutique starting at 10:30 a.m. March 21 at the Hyatt Westlake Plaza Hotel, 800 S. Westlake Blvd. Festivities start at noon with a fashion show featuring Holly Mitchell’s musical fashion extravaganza. Tickets are $50. Proceeds will benefit the Women’s Club scholarship program and local charities. Information: 498-0777.
Rail Festival to Benefit Restoration Efforts
* The fifth annual Fillmore Spring Rail Festival will take place March 25 and 26 from 9 to 5 p.m. at Central Park, Central and Santa Clara avenues, Fillmore. The festival features miniature train rides, locomotive excursions, a model train swap meet, antique displays, vintage tractors and engine demonstrations. There will be a band, arts and crafts booths, barbecue tri-tip sandwiches and the Santa Clara River Valley Railroad Historical Society’s visitor center will be open with displays and artifacts. Proceeds will benefit the society and its railroad restoration efforts. Information: (800) 773-8724.
Easter Seals to Hold Fund-Raising Campaign
* Tri-Counties Easter Seals will hold its annual fund-raising campaign in March to benefit existing programs and provide new ones. Easter Seals’ mission is to help children and adults with disabilities throughout Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. The organization’s goal during the month is to raise $38,000, most of which will go to its children’s service, medical rehabilitation and support service programs. To contribute, make check payable to Easter Seals Tri-Counties, 10730 Henderson Road, Ventura CA 93004. Volunteer information: 647-1141.
Blood Bank Calling for Donors
* Ventura County United Blood Services has a critical need of blood donors for its blood bank. It is in particular need of donors with blood type “O.” United Blood Services has donor centers in Camarillo, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks and Ventura. Appointments or hours: 654-8104.
Independent Living Program Seeks Mentors
* Interface Children Family Services needs adult mentors who enjoy working with adolescents and have a desire to make a difference for its Independent Living Program. The program helps foster and independent young people ages 19-21 make the transition to adulthood. The program provides volunteers with training, support groups and mileage reimbursement. To volunteer or information: 485-6114, Ext. 663.)
Volunteers Sought as Peer Counselors
* Jewish Family Service is recruiting volunteers for its senior peer counseling program in the Ventura, Oxnard and Ojai areas. The nondenominational program is for Ventura County residents over age 55. Volunteers will be trained to listen to and support others coping with loneliness, depression and isolation. Volunteers must have their own transportation. To volunteer or information: 655-7957.
Community Chest, a weekly listing of charitable fund-raising vents, is compiled by Alex Field. Please address items, with a publishable telephone number, to Community Chest, Los Angeles Times, 93 S. Chestnut St., Ventura 93001. Items can also be faxed to The Times at 653-7576 or 653-7548.