Child Advocates Office of Los Angeles Superior Court needs volunteers to investigate the circumstances of children who have been removed from their home because of severe abuse or neglect and present their findings to the Los Angeles County Dependency Court. Volunteers must be at least 21 and willing to commit two years to the program. Application for fall training deadline is Sept. 17. Information: Christine O'Rourke, (323) 526-6666.
* L.A. Chinatown Firecracker Run Committee needs volunteers to help organize its 24th annual Firecracker 5K/10K Run to celebrate the Year of the Horse. The race will be held Feb. 10. Information: (323) 256-1363.
* Social Services Coalition's Referral Center, which provides referrals and assistance to those in need and the homeless in the Whittier area, needs volunteers to answer phones and organize and distribute client mail. Training is provided. A four-hour-a-week commitment on weekdays is required. Information: (562) 693-4097.
* 30-Minute Beach Cleanup needs volunteers the third Saturday of each month at the end of Granada Avenue at Ocean Boulevard in Belmont Shore in Long Beach from 10 to 10:30 a.m. Information: Justin Rudd, (562) 439-3316.
* Sir Charles Blues Lab in Los Angeles needs musicians to mentor inner-city youths from Orange County to the San Fernando Valley. Information: http://www.blueslab.org.
* Interface Children Family Services of Ventura County in Camarillo needs people to provide evening and weekend short-term shelter for youths in need. Training and financial reimbursement are provided. Information: (805) 485-6114.
* Project Chicken Soup/Los Angeles Jewish AIDS Services needs volunteers to deliver meals two Sundays a month from noon to 1 p.m. to people with HIV-AIDS in Los Angeles, Long Beach and Claremont. Information: (323) 655-5330.
* Ride On Therapeutic Horsemanship in Chatsworth needs volunteers 12 and older to assist with horse care and lessons for disabled riders on Thursday mornings, weekday afternoons and Saturdays. Training is provided. Help with fund-raising, special events, grant writing and the newsletter are also needed. Information: (818) 700-2971.
nformation for this column should be submitted typed and double-spaced to Involvement Opportunities, SoCal Living, L.A. Times, 202 W. 1st. St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.