Officers rescued a 95-year-old woman and her dog from a burning home Saturday morning, according to police.
Placentia officers were the first to arrive at 2133 Mignon Way about 8:20 a.m. Resident Linda Mykkanen, 65, had escaped the fire but told Officer Brian Perry her mother was inside.
Perry, 30, broke open a French door with a shovel and entered the smoke-filled building.
He found Agnes Graetch in her bed and carried her outside. The second officer, Sean Malone, 35, rescued the family dog, police said.
Both officers and the two women were taken to Placentia-Linda Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Investigators say the fire was ignited by sparks from a lamp cord. It began in the living room and spread to the dining room, kitchen, then the exterior. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze.
Structural damage was estimated at $30,000, while damage to the building's contents was estimated to be $50,000.