* The NASD, formerly known as the National Assn. of Securities Dealers, is said to be close to a deal to sell the American Stock Exchange to the stock and option exchange’s 864 members, people with knowledge of the matter said.
* Bassett Furniture Industries Inc. and other U.S. furniture makers petitioned the Bush administration to levy tariffs of as much as 440% on $1 billion a year of bedroom sets from China.
* Tenet Healthcare Corp. said it closed the sale of five hospitals in Florida, Missouri and Tennessee to Health Management Associates. Santa Barbara-based Tenet also completed the sale of Elkins Park Hospital in Philadelphia to Albert Einstein Healthcare Network. Tenet said it would receive about $565 million from the sales.
* Internet search site Ask Jeeves Inc. named President Steve Berkowitz chief executive, effective Jan. 1. Berkowitz will succeed A. George Battle, who was named executive chairman.
* Fluor Corp. agreed to buy the embassy-building business of J.A. Jones Construction Co. for $4 million to boost its sales to the U.S. government.