Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. has put to rest speculation that it plans to hire former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly.
During a Wednesday conference call with financial analysts, Sinclair President and Chief Executive Chris Ripley responded to a question about the broadcaster’s reported interest in hiring O’Reilly, who was forced out at Fox in April amid sexual harassment allegations.
“We get approached all the time by a lot of people,” Ripley said. “He did approach us .… We do not have any interest in hiring him.”
In addition to the allegations that came out before O’Reilly’s departure from Fox News, it was reported last month that just before he signed his last contract with the network, O’Reilly paid $32 million to settle a sexual harassment claim brought by a longtime contributor to his program.
Days later, O’Reilly’s literary agency, William Morris Entertainment, announced that it was no longer representing him.
Also on Wednesday, Sinclair — which reported a third-quarter drop in sales and profit — addressed criticism over its planned $3.9-billion deal to buy Tribune Media Co., the former parent company of the Los Angeles Times. Maryland-based Sinclair said the deal, which federal regulators are continuing to review, is on track.
11:40 a.m.: This article was updated to add that Tribune is the former parent company of the Los Angeles Times.
This article was originally published at 11:25 a.m.