A Hancock Park home that Warner Bros. co-founder Harry M. Warner commissioned and later sold to finance one of his movies has sold for slightly more than $5.207 million.
Designed by architect A. Burnside Sturges, the brick-faced Georgian Colonial was built for Warner in the early 1920s. Two years later he sold the property to finance the 1927 musical film “The Jazz Singer,” one of the first feature-length pictures to incorporate synchronized sound.
Set beyond paver steps and slender pillars, the roughly 5,600-square-foot house opens in dramatic fashion to a formal entry and staircase embellished in thin gold balusters. Curved glass doors flank the entry, opening to formal rooms on either side.
A family room with herringbone wood floors, a wood-paneled lounge/screening room, an updated kitchen, seven bedrooms and 5.5 bathrooms are among the other living spaces. A small sitting area sits at the top of the staircase beneath a stained glass skylight.
A tennis court, swimming pool, pool house, lawns and hedges fill the more than half-acre grounds.
The house came to market in May for $5.575 million, records show. The exact sale price was $5,207,500.
Brenda Chandler Cooke of Hilton & Hyland, an affiliate of Christie’s International Real Estate, was the listing agent. Jackie Smith of the Agency represented the buyer.
MORE FROM HOT PROPERTY: