Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore back home after overnight hospitalization

LAPD Chief Michel Moore speaks at a lectern while people stand behind him
LAPD Police Chief Michel Moore was hospitalized overnight Monday but returned home Tuesday. No information about the reason for his stay was provided.
(Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)

Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore was back home Tuesday after an overnight hospitalization for symptoms the department would not disclose.

Moore was hospitalized Monday night after “not feeling well” and transporting himself to a hospital, police confirmed to The Times on Tuesday.

Moore was admitted to L.A. County-USC Medical Center for “testing and observation” and remained there until his release Tuesday. Moore’s condition and symptoms could not immediately be determined. He has been vaccinated for COVID-19.

“Chief Moore is in great spirits and appreciates your well-wishes and support,” said Capt. Stacy Spell, an LAPD spokesman, in a statement while Moore was still hospitalized. “To respect his privacy, the Department will not be commenting further.”

After Moore’s release from the hospital, Spell added that Moore “appreciates the expressions of support that he has received,” and “asked that we continue to keep our department personnel still hospitalized in our thoughts and prayers.”


At least one LAPD employee was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday related to COVID-19, and another was in critical condition after being struck by a vehicle in Newton Division on Friday night.

Moore later tweeted a similar message from his own account, adding that he was “grateful to be at home” and appreciative of the medical center staff. “Truly dedicated and caring professionals,” he wrote.

Officials said the department had not determined a need for Moore’s responsibilities to be officially assumed by other commanders.

“He’s the police chief. There is no acting chief,” said Asst. Chief Horace Frank. However, assistant chiefs are attending meetings on Moore’s behalf.

Moore was absent from the regular L.A. Police Commission meeting Tuesday morning, with Asst. Chief Beatrice Girmala standing in for him, and a virtual meeting with reporters scheduled for Tuesday afternoon was canceled.

Moore’s wife was transported to the hospital to meet him there, sources said. Mayor Eric Garcetti was informed of Moore’s hospitalization Monday night, his office said.


Moore, a 40-year veteran of the LAPD, was appointed chief by Garcetti in 2018 after rising through the ranks as an officer, detective, sergeant and lieutenant. He also commanded the Rampart Division, worked in the Valley Bureau, served as a deputy and assistant chief, headed special operations and oversaw various other aspects of the department’s operations, including fiscal and data operations.

Particularly in the last year, Moore has been one of the most visible and scrutinized officials in Los Angeles, juggling multiple emergencies as the city and nation have grappled with the COVID-19 pandemic, surging violent crime and evolving public perceptions of the role police should play in society.

Moore oversaw the LAPD’s response to mass protests against police brutality last summer, a pivotal moment in L.A. and American policing. He received public criticism for failing to maintain order and for the extent of force used by officers to clear protest crowds, but maintained the support of Garcetti and most public officials.

Moore also has been overseeing a reorganization of the LAPD in response to a budget cut, a reduction in sworn officers and new programs for calls about mental illness, substance abuse and homelessness. He also has been overseeing the LAPD’s handling of COVID-19 — which has infected more than 2,650 LAPD personnel and killed eight.