8 children at Sun Valley school are treated after possibly eating marijuana gummies

Entire frame filled with red, round marijuana gummies.
Several children became ill on Wednesday after consuming marijuana gummies, fire officials said.
(Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)

Eight children, some as young as 12, were treated Wednesday at Sun Valley Magnet School after possibly consuming marijuana gummies, Los Angeles Fire Department officials said.

The incident was reported just before 1:20 p.m. at the school in the 7300 block of Bakman Avenue.

The children, ages 12 to 16, fell ill and were evaluated at the scene. All were conscious, breathing and ambulatory, fire officials said.


Five patients were transported to local hospitals, and three were released to their parents. L.A. Unified School District officials noted in a statement that Narcan, a nasal spray used when an opiod overdose is suspected, was not administered.

“The students are being monitored closely by emergency medical responders for further evaluation,” LAUSD said. “Due to privacy and confidentiality laws, we cannot disclose additional information about this incident. However, all Los Angeles Unified protocols were followed and the students’ parents have been notified.”

After the incident, the school remained open for instruction.