Dwayne Johnson's rambunctious little pup Brutus has died, the actor announced Tuesday on Instagram.
The "Ballers" star's French bulldog puppy — one of two — who made headlines over Labor Day weekend for beelining into and almost drowning in the Rock's pool and later obstinately refusing to take a walk, died Monday after eating a toxic mushroom.
"Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed," Johnson wrote, sharing a photo cradling the little guy. "At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace."
The "Furious 7" actor said that Brutus ate the mushroom while playing with his brother Hobbs, Johnson's other Frenchie, and that the fungus happened to have a legal toxicity that within hours "was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return."
The 43-year-old shared his grief as a reminder to his followers to keep an eye on their roaming pets.
"I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play," he said. "What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime."