Advertisement

Dwayne Johnson's new puppy Brutus dead after eating a toxic mushroom

Dwayne Johnson's new puppy Brutus dead after eating a toxic mushroom
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, pictured in May, has announced that one of his French bulldog puppies has died. (Frazer Harrison / Getty Images)

Dwayne Johnson's rambunctious little pup Brutus has died, the actor announced Tuesday on Instagram.

The "Ballers" star's French bulldog puppy — one of two — who made headlines over Labor Day weekend for beelining into and almost drowning in the Rock's pool and later obstinately refusing to take a walk, died Monday after eating a toxic mushroom.

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on

"Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed," Johnson wrote, sharing a photo cradling the little guy. "At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace."

The "Furious 7" actor said that Brutus ate the mushroom while playing with his brother Hobbs, Johnson's other Frenchie, and that the fungus happened to have a legal toxicity that within hours "was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return."

The 43-year-old shared his grief as a reminder to his followers to keep an eye on their roaming pets.

"I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play," he said. "What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime."

Here's a fun Labor Day weekend story... We just decided to add two new members to our Johnson family. Baby French Bulldogs. In my right hand is BRUTUS and in my left hand is HOBBS. Bring them home and immediately take them outside so they can start learning how to "handle their business and potty like big boys". I set them both down and they both take off in a full sprint and fall right into the deep end of our pool. HOBBS immediately starts doggy paddling while BRUTUS (like a brick) sink heads first to the bottom of the pool. I take off into a full sprint, fully clothed, dive in the pool, swim to the bottom, rescue my brick, I mean BRUTUS and bring him back to the edge of the pool. He was a little delirious.. took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, "Thank God you didn't have to give me mouth to mouth!" and then ran off to play with his brother. A few lessons I've learned today.. A) Not all puppies have the instinct to doggie paddle. B) Some puppies (like BRUTUS) will be so in shock by experiencing water they will sink extremely fast so react quick. C) While spiriting to save your puppies life, before you dive in, try and throw your cel phone to safety. Don't keep it in your pocket... like I did. #BRUTUSLives #HOBBSCanSwim #MyCelPhonesDead #AndNoMouthToMouthNeeded #HappyLaborDay

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on

Follow me on Twitter @NardineSaad.

Advertisement
Advertisement