‘Skyfall’ continues sensational international performance

Among the 25 foreign markets where "Skyfall" opened last weekend, several held on very well.
(Francois Duhamel / Columbia Pictures)

James Bond has raked in nearly $300 million at the box office before even opening in the U.S.

“Skyfall,” the 23rd entry in the Bond spy series and the third starring Daniel Craig, grossed a massive $156 million this weekend in 81 countries, bringing its total box office after less than two weeks overseas to $287 million.

Among the countries where it had big openings this weekend — significantly bigger than the last two Bond movies, “Quantum of Solace” and “Casino Royale” — were Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland, Austria, India, Taiwan and Mexico (though it was beaten by Disney’s animated comedy “Wreck-It Ralph” in Mexico).

Among the 25 foreign markets where “Skyfall” opened last weekend, several held on very well. In the United Kingdom, ticket sales were down only 21% as the Bond film grossed $25.7 million and brought its 10-day total to $85.8 million. It also enjoyed very modest drops in Brazil, France and Sweden.


“Skyfall” is now certain to have more than $300 million of ticket sales under its belt before opening Friday in the U.S. and Canada, where pre-release surveys indicate it should have a strong opening of more than $80 million.

That’s very good news for independent studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, which owns 75% of the movie, Sony Pictures, which owns the other 25%, and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, who take a significant chunk of the profits. “Skyfall” cost just under $200 million to make.


Keeping 007 relevant in a changed world

‘Wreck-It Ralph,’ ‘Flight’ open strong despite storm

New York City to resume some film permitting next week


VIDEO: A guide to upcoming movies

The Envelope: Awards Insider

PHOTOS: NC-17 movies: Ratings explained