The Manhattan district attorney has decided not to bring criminal charges against film mogul Harvey Weinstein for an incident in which he allegedly groped an Italian model.
The office of Cyrus Vance has said it won't pursue legal action after the model, 22-year-old Ambra Battilana, accused Weinstein of groping her and putting a hand under her skirt in a meeting at his downtown Manhattan office two weeks ago.
"This case was taken seriously from the outset, with a thorough investigation conducted by our Sex Crimes Unit," said Joan Vollero, a spokeswoman at Vance's office. She added: "After analyzing the available evidence, including multiple interviews with both parties, a criminal charge is not supported."
Weinstein, co-founder of the former Miramax Pictures and current entertainment producer and distributor the Weinstein Co., could have faced misdemeanor charges had the district attorney opted to pursue legal action.
Battilana previously had been involved in a sex-scandal case against former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in her home country. Weinstein had met Battilana the night prior to the alleged incident at the opening of the New York Spring Spectacular, a live show he is producing at Radio City Music Hall.
On Friday afternoon, Weinstein released his own statement via a spokeswoman, Risa Heller. The short comment read: "We are pleased this episode is behind us."