Skip to content
Maria Shriver as No One Has Seen Her Distinction Magazine's May-June Cover Story
LOS ANGELES, April 28, 2005 The May-June issue of Distinction magazine, Southern California's luxury lifestyle publication, features an inspiring one-on-one interview "Maria, Outside the Lines" with California's First Lady Maria Shriver, author of the just-published "And One More Thing Before You Go..."
The cover story will be available online beginning May 2 at www.distinctionmagla.com. The May-June issue will be available at select newsstands in early May.
In the cover story by Distinction Editor Holly Palance, California's First Lady and former NBC news anchor offers candid advice to young women about college, careers, and family:
Distinction magazine, published by Angeles Publications, a division of Tribune Los Angeles, Inc., has a circulation of 70,000 concentrated in the most affluent Southern California communities. Single copies also are available at major retail locations including supermarkets, national bookstores, airports, spas, salons, boutiques, and luxury hotels. Additional information about Distinction magazine is available at www.distinctionmagla.com.
- Outside the Lines "A reporter recently gave me a coloring book of first ladies. She had inscribed it, 'To Maria, who refuses to color inside the lines.'"
- No First Ladies in Hiding "When I got to Sacramento, the door to the first lady's office was labeled the Governor's Office of Special Projects. I thought, the first lady's office will never be looked at as a job as long as the first lady is hiding as a 'special project.'"
- The Bigger Picture "We're all taught to be happy, to be successful, to follow our dreams, grab hold of our goals. But I think knowing when to let go of your plans, particularly for women, is critical."
- Balancing Act "I meet people all the time who tell me they're Democrats married to Republicans, or Republicans married to Democrats. Particularly before the last presidential election, people would come up to me and go, 'Boy, I hope your house is doing better than my house.'"
- No Nobodies Here "It takes courage to fail and pick yourself up again. It takes courage to jump into a marriage. It takes courage to rear children."
- Portraits of Shriver were taken by renowned photographer Firooz Zahedi, who has shot for Interview, Vanity Fair, Town & Country, Glamour, Esquire and InStyle magazines, among others.
- The May-June issue also features:
- John Cleese, the "extraordinarily intelligent, decidedly debonair, ridiculously good-looking and completely human face of fame" best known for Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, and the hit Broadway show, "Spamalot;"
- Designer Eric Buterbaugh's floral atelier at The Four Seasons Beverly Hills has taken the city by storm, counting among its clients Maria Shriver, Sarah Ferguson, Naomi Campbell, Heather Mills and Paul McCartney;
- Architect David Hertz's private piece of paradise brings Balinese style to Venice; and
- Profiles of out-of-the-box business minds like USC professor Warren Bennis, advisor to four U.S. presidents and hundreds of CEOs, and Greater Los Angeles Zoo Assn. Trustee Angela Janklow, managing director, special projects at Dolce & Gabbana.