President Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney have different visions on renewable energy.
• Renew $1 billion annual tax credit for the wind industry
• Incubate solar projects through aggressive use of subsidies
• Create national clean-energy standard requiring 80% of power from clean-burning sources by 2020
• Support expansion of natural gas, nuclear power to help reduce greenhouse gases
• Tighten environmental regulations on some oil production
• End wind tax credit
• Scale back federal subsidies for other renewables
• Roll back regulations inhibiting oil production and construction of coal plants
• Accelerate permits for projects in all energy sectors
• Open millions of acres offshore and on federal land to oil drilling
Source: Times reporting by Evan Halper
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.