Huntington Beach officials have dropped a ballot measure that would have allowed rent control in mobile home parks after new last-minute leases were worked out with affected tenants.
City officials had approved the measure for the ballot on July 28, but since then, two council members said they talked with one of the mobile home park owners who agreed to work out new leases.
Councilman Jim Katapodis, who brought forward the proposal to kill the measure, thanked John Saunders, owner of Pacific Mobile Home Park and Huntington Shorecliffs Mobile Home Park, for “stepping up to the plate” and working with his residents at both parks on a five-year lease.
Councilman Joe Carchio, who co-authored the resolution to pull the measure off the ballot, highlighted some components of the lease deal. He said rent increases would not exceed 4% annually for residents paying at least 40% of their income toward rent.
Many residents from both parks have told council members about rent increases they have faced this year, some as high as 62% in a month, the Huntington Beach Independent reported.
Katapodis said he believes Saunders will follow through with the agreements he has proposed to his residents.
Saunders could not be reached for comment.
While Saunders has agreed to work with residents at his two parks, council members are still concerned about the owner of Rancho Huntington Mobile Park, a senior-only park where residents fear rents may increase if they do not sign a long-term lease.
Amber Monte, who represents Rancho Huntington owner Sierra Management, said 60% of the residents there have signed a lease.
However, resident Patricia Taylor, 76, said the Rancho Huntington’s homeowners association has tried to work out a better deal with management and has yet to settle on an agreement.
“If we can come to some kind of a compromise as a result of having [the ballot measure pulled], it would serve a good purpose,” Taylor said.