Dozens of young troublemakers -- many of them involved in George Zimmerman-related protests earlier in the week -- descended on Hollywood late Tuesday, roaming along Hollywood Boulevard and robbing people.
Though the crimes did not appear to be related to the protests over George Zimmerman’s acquittal in the slaying of Trayvon Martin, police said they believe many involved were responsible for trouble at protests on Sunday night.
Join Times reporters Joel Rubin and Ruben Vives for an L.A. Now Live discussion at 9 a.m. to discuss the latest on the Hollywood robbery pack and Zimmerman protests.
“They were not engaging in any kind of protest,” LAPD Sgt. John Barkley said. “I think this specific group came up to riot and cause problems in Hollywood.”
One adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Tuesday night, and all but one were booked on suspicion of robbery, police said. The 12th arrest was for receiving stolen property.
As many as 50 robbers were believed to be involved in the attacks.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday night, protesters gathered peacefully in South L.A. and downtown L.A. in continued protest of Zimmerman’s acquittal.
The crowd was smaller and the mood noticeably different at Leimert Park in South L.A., where demonstrators made it clear they arrived to hold a peaceful rally.
They also vowed to keep people in line after groups of young people Monday night stomped on cars, stormed into a Wal-Mart and assaulted a TV reporter and cameraman.