Advertisement
California

Boy may be charged in death of friend who snorted rat poison

Teen may face charges for poison
Northern California teen may face charges for the death of a 16-year-old boy who snorted rat poison, believing it was cocaine, police say.
(Bing)

A 14-year-old boy could face criminal charges for accidentally supplying rat poison to a friend who died after snorting the powder, apparently believing it was cocaine, authorities said.

Prosecutors in the small Shasta County city of Anderson are reviewing whether to press charges against the teen in the death of 16-year-old Jimmy Lee Cramer, who died two days after being hospitalized for snorting the rat poison, Shasta County district attorney officials said.

Two other boys, ages 13 and 16, were also hospitalized in the Aug. 22 incident, Anderson Police Chief Michael Johnson said.

Although the youngest boy’s long-term health remains unknown, the older surviving boy suffered brain and muscle damage, Johnson said.

Advertisement

The small town, located outside Redding, is “horrified” by the incident, Johnson said.

“It’s just a big shock for the community,” he said.

Johnson said he doesn’t believe the boy was being malicious and just made a “stupid” mistake.

The boy told police that he retrieved the unmarked bottle of poison from his father’s garage, where it had been stored on a high shelf, Johnson said.

Advertisement

Authorities said word spread in the tightknit community that the 14-year-old had cocaine and that the other teens somehow got ahold of it and snorted the powder.

Detectives later submitted the bottle to a U.S. Department of Justice lab, which confirmed it was poison and that the boys had suffered from strychnine poisoning, he said.

For breaking news in Los Angeles and throughout California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA. She can be reached at veronica.rocha@latimes.com.


Newsletter
Get our Essential California newsletter
Advertisement