Police seek two suspects in series of armed street robberies in Los Angeles and Culver City
L.A. Now

Jury reaches verdict in fake Rockefeller murder case

A jury has reached a verdict in the case of a German native who for years pretended to be a Rockefeller and was charged with a 1985 murder in San Marino.

The verdict will be read at 11 a.m. in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, 52, was accused of bludgeoning his landlady’s adult son with a blunt object and then digging a 3-foot-deep grave in the backyard of the victim’s home. The body was buried behind a guest house where Gerhartsreiter had been living.

FULL COVERAGE: Rockefeller imposter on trial

The victim, John Sohus, 27, vanished in early 1985 along with his wife, Linda, who has never been found. Gerhartsreiter, who in San Marino introduced himself as British aristocrat Christopher Chichester, disappeared soon afterward, resurfacing on the East Coast under a series of ever more elaborate false identities.

In Connecticut, he was television and film producer Christopher Crowe before convincing some on Wall Street that he was a bond trader. But it was his act as Clark Rockefeller, an eccentric but brilliant member of America’s famous wealthy family, that won him entry to exclusive social clubs and fooled many, including his Harvard-educated wife.

More than 40 witnesses testified during the three-week trial in downtown Los Angeles, recounting stories about the charismatic Gerhartsreiter and the missing couple, who had been married less than a year and a half when they went missing. John’s remains were discovered in 1994 by a construction crew building a swimming pool for the new owner of the Lorain Road property.

Defense attorneys argued that their client was a simple conman who committed only petty crimes. They pointed out that the prosecution had presented no motive for the killing. The victim’s 29-year-old wife, they said, was more likely to have been responsible for the slaying.

In building a case against Gerhartsreiter, the prosecution had to overcome an array of obstacles. There was no DNA, fingerprints or other forensic evidence identifying the killer. Most of the victim’s remains were mistakenly destroyed in 1995. Witnesses had trouble remembering dates that were nearly 30 years old. The new lead sheriff’s detective had to deal with incomplete reports and missing evidence from previous investigators.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Habib Balian spent three weeks weaving together a case from circumstantial evidence.

The key prosecution evidence were two plastic bags found wrapped around the victim’s skull. Both were in use during the early 1980s. One was from the bookstore at USC, where Gerhartsreiter attended film classes at the time. The other was from the bookstore at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where Gerhartsreiter was enrolled from spring 1980 to spring 1981.

The prosecutor argued that Gerhartsreiter slipped up by taking the couple’s new truck with him when he left San Marino. In 1988, he gave the Sohuses' truck to a friend who tried to obtain its title from California, alerting police that Gerhartsreiter and the missing couple's vehicle were in Connecticut.

Although Gerhartsreiter had lied about his identity before, he went to more extraordinary lengths to hide who he really was after the killing, particularly when a detective began seeking him in connection with the missing couple, Balian argued. Witnesses testified that Gerhartsreiter changed his address, dyed his hair, used post office boxes and kept records out of his name for the next 20 years.

“He's gotten away with it for 28 years,” Balian told jurors at the end of the trial. “He thinks he's smarter than everyone.… He thinks everyone's so stupid.”


Memorial planned for slain Oakland news photographer

Felon slain by CHP officer after allegedly killing woman in Fontana

Ex-mayoral hopeful Kevin James backs Ron Galperin for controller

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World