Houston airport gunman left note citing ‘monster within me’

Security officials at Bush Intercontinental Airport stand at the bottom of the escalators as police investigate a shooting near Terminal B on Thursday in Houston. Authorities say a man from Beaumont, Texas, shot himself in the head.
(Cody Duty / Associated Press)

Just before pulling the pistol he would use to shoot himself at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Carnell Moore apparently tried to keep bystanders out of harm’s way, authorities said.

In a suicide note quoted by authorities Friday, Moore wrote: “The monster within me was getting stronger and while I could not save myself I could spare others.”

The airport’s Terminal B was closed down for about 10 hours Thursday after Moore, 29, a maintenance worker from Beaumont, Texas, shot himself in the head as he was being approached by a Homeland Security agent in the ticketing area. The agent shot Moore once in the shoulder in an attempt to disarm him, said Kese Smith, spokesman for the Houston Police Department.

Moore was pronounced dead at the scene.

About noon Thursday, Moore left a Houston hotel, drove to the airport and went upstairs toward the ticketing area.


Moore remained in the public area and did not pass through security checkpoints, Smith said.

Investigators learned that he had tried to get bystanders to leave the ticketing area before drawing the weapon around 1:30 p.m. and firing two shots into the ceiling, Smith said.

A special agent with the Department of Homeland Security who was on duty heard the gunshots. He rushed to the ticketing area and ordered Moore to drop the weapon, Smith said.

Moore refused, and raised his pistol at the agent, Smith said.

“That’s when the special agent, fearing for the safety of the citizens in the terminal and himself, discharged his weapon one time, striking the suspect in the shoulder,” Smith said.

Almost simultaneously, Moore shot himself in the head, Smith said.

Investigators found the suicide note in a black suitcase Moore was carrying, in addition to an AR-15 rifle and a Gideon Bible, investigators said. The passages Genesis 12:1, Psalm 83:18 and Revelations 22:20-21 were highlighted, Smith said.

“He which testifieth these things saith, surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus,” the passage in Revelation reads.


Earlier this week, Moore had tried to kidnap at gunpoint a female co-worker who had refused his romantic advances, Smith said. She was able to talk him out of taking her to Houston, and Moore made the 90-minute drive from Beaumont alone.

He checked into a hotel on Tuesday, and on Thursday went to the airport.

The airport’s operations returned to normal by midnight Friday, according to airport spokeswoman Darian Moore.


Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s body is released for Muslim funeral rites

Video of Utah slaughterhouse draws attention to ‘ag-gag’ laws

Blue skies prompt Washington school to cancel classes for ‘sun day’