A 15-year-old Chicago girl was apparently sexually assaulted by five or six men or boys on Facebook Live, and none of the roughly 40 people who watched the live video reported the attack to police, authorities said Tuesday.
Police only learned of the attack when the girl's mother approached police Supt. Eddie Johnson late Monday afternoon as he was leaving a news conference on the city's West Side, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. She told Johnson her daughter had been missing since Sunday and showed him images taken from the video of the alleged assault.
Guglielmi said Johnson immediately ordered detectives to investigate and the department asked Facebook to take down the video, which it did.
Guglielmi tweeted Tuesday that detectives found the girl and reunited her with her family, and that they're conducting interviews.
He said Johnson was "visibly upset" after he watched the video, both by its contents and the fact that there were "40 or so live viewers and no one thought to call authorities."