The rules: What to wear to the unofficial inaugural balls
State Society of
Host: State Society of Arizona
Venue: The Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
Crowd: Expatriates of the Grand Canyon State and a handful of unhappy
Dress code: Black tie or bolo tie
Which means: Feel free to swap out a traditional bow tie for the Western-style shoelace tie that’s been the state’s official neckwear since 1971.
Quote of note: “A suit is OK if you don’t have a tux. We really don’t want people to show up in jeans and khakis, but at this point, unless you show up nude, we’ll probably let you in.” — Katie Vlietstra, inaugural ball chairwoman
• They’re first ladies of fashion too | Photos
• The rules: What to wear to the unofficial inaugural balls
• L.A. movers and shakers prep for Obama inauguration
• A peek at the official 2009 Inaugural Ball sites
• Obama Inauguration Events in L.A.
• Is Washington the city that fashion forgot?
• Lookback: Barack Obama went Hawaiian casual at Occidental College in L.A.
• Michelle Obama’s inaugural dress may set tone for her White House style
• Obama memorabilia displayed in homes | Photos
(Mel Melcon/ Los Angeles Times)