Hawaii: Two major hotels still shut by tsunami damage [Updated]
At least two major hotels on the western side of Hawaii’s Big Island remained closed this week after being damaged by ocean surges from the tsunami spawned by Japan’s March 11 earthquake. Some others were mopping up.
Here’s a look at the status of several resorts as of Thursday:
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai in Kailua-Kona: The resort will be closed until April 30 after sustaining damage from water, sand and debris that flowed onto the grounds, affecting mainly the pool areas, landscaping and a restaurant, plus 12 of the resort’s 243 guest rooms, the resort said in a statement. General Manger Robert Whitfield said there was “no significant structural damage” but that the resort’s managers wanted to take time to “polish the property in the fashion it is known for.”
[For the Record at 8:55 a.m.: An earlier version of this post stated that the Four Seasons has 343 guest rooms. It has 243 rooms.]
Guests with upcoming reservations were being contacted to make alternate arrangements, such as rebooking for a later date or staying at sister properties elsewhere, including the Hawaiian islands of Lanai and Maui, the resort said.
Kona Village Resort in Kailua-Kona: The 125-bungalow resort was closed, and no reopening date had been set. “We are still going through assessments,” spokeswoman Karine Joret said. “There was pretty severe damage done to the resort. Over 20 bungalows were destroyed, as well as damage to our restaurant, gift shop, office and reception areas, bars on the beach and pools.”
King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel in Kailua-Kona: The tsunami damaged the first floor of the hotel, requiring the carpet and furniture to be removed, but it did not affect guest rooms, according to the hotel’s website. The Billfish Bar and the pool have been reopened, and the hotel plans to resume its luau Sunday. A number of retail stores have also reopened, the website said.
Hilton Waikoloa Village in Waikoloa: This resort escaped significant damage.”“We had one water-pipe issue at one of our restaurants, and the restaurant reopened Saturday,” said spokeswoman Leanne Pletcher. “We were very, very fortunate. We’re back, with business as normal.”
It's a date
Get our L.A. Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.