Libya’s coast guard recovers dozens of bodies of migrants
Libya’s coast guard recovered dozens of bodies of Europe-bound migrants who perished at sea as search operations continued Friday, a day after up to 150 people, including women and children, went missing and were feared drowned when their boats capsized in the Mediterranean Sea.
A top United Nations official described the disaster as “the worst Mediterranean tragedy” so far this year.
The Anti-Illegal Immigration Agency in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, said that up to 350 migrants were on board the boats that capsized off the town of Khoms, about 75 miles east of Tripoli.
The migrants included nationals from Eritrea, Egypt, Sudan and Libya, the agency said. Libyan officials said more than 130 have been rescued since Thursday.
One of the survivors, from Eritrea, said his vessel started to capsize after an hour of sailing. Most of the migrants on board were women, he said, and most of them drowned.
“All of them [who drowned] were ladies.... Only two girls rescued themselves,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity, fearing for his safety.
Two other survivors, reached at a disembarking facility in Tripoli, told the Associated Press over the phone they had each paid between $200 and $400 to smugglers who promised they would reach Italy’s shores by sunset Thursday.
Ahmed Tayeb, a 32-year-old from Sudan, said he was on one of three boats that capsized an hour after setting off from Libya on Wednesday night.
Egyptian Mustafa Mahmoud, 26, said Libyan fishermen were first to come to their rescue. “I saw lots of bodies, dozens, in the water,” he said. “Most of them were children and women who were not able to swim.”
At least a dozen of the survivors were taken to a hospital in Khoms, while the rest were transferred to different detention centers, including Tajoura, located outside Tripoli near the front lines of the fighting between rival Libyan factions, the Libyan officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
The Tajoura detention center was hit by an airstrike on July 3 that killed more than 50 people and raised new concerns over the treatment of migrants in Libya. The Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees has demanded the center be closed, but that hasn’t happened.
“This is putting intentionally the life of these people at risk,” Vincent Cochetel, UNHCR’s special envoy for the central Mediterranean, wrote Friday on Twitter.
The U.N. refugee agency said later Friday that once they arrived, the 84 migrants were turned back from the detention center and were instead being “released gradually” into the town of Tajoura.
Amnesty International called Friday on EU leaders to “show some courage” and reverse their decision to halt migrant rescues in the Mediterranean. The rights group appealed to European nations to change their approach and not “condemn those who survive to detention in Libya.”
“People are still risking their lives to come to Europe,” said Amnesty’s Massimo Moratti.
The European Union in years past has partnered with Libya to prevent migrants from making the dangerous journey by sea to Europe. Rights groups say those efforts have left migrants at the mercy of brutal armed groups or confined in squalid detention centers that lack adequate food and water.
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reiterated that “Libya is not a safe country of asylum” and stressed that “refugees must be treated with dignity and respect, and in accordance with international law,” said his deputy spokesman, Farhan Haq, on Friday.
After the NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed longtime ruler Moammar Kadafi in 2011, Libya became a major conduit for African migrants and refugees seeking a better life in Europe. Traffickers and armed groups have exploited Libya’s chaos since Kadafi’s overthrow and have been implicated in widespread abuses of migrants, including torture and abduction for ransom.
The disaster was “the worst Mediterranean tragedy” so far this year, said U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get all the day's most vital news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.