Advertisement
World & Nation

At least 37 drown as migrant boat capsizes off Turkey

Migrant boat sinks

Turkish police carry away the body of a migrant that washed ashore near the Aegean resort of Ayvacik on Jan. 30, 2016.

(Ozan Kose / AFP/Getty Images)

A boat carrying Syrians attempting the short sea journey from Turkey to Greece struck rocks and capsized at dawn Saturday, causing at least 37 people to drown, among them several babies and young children.

Images of dead children on a beach were another soul-searing reminder that Europe’s migrant crisis keeps destroying lives and families by the day.

They recalled the photo of 3-year-old Aylan Kurdi lying face down on a Turkish beach last year. His story put an intimate face on the refugee crisis for people across the world, prompting many to finally grapple with the magnitude of the suffering caused by the war in Syria and the treacherous journeys many risk seeking shelter in Europe.

By contrast, the heartbreaking images Saturday met a muted response, perhaps a sign that many have grown weary of the unending reports about the suffering of migrants even though the number of people dying at sea is rising.

Advertisement

“January has been the deadliest month so far for drownings between Turkey and Greece,” Peter Bouckaert, the emergencies director at Human Rights Watch, told the Associated Press in an email. “Almost every day, more drown on this dangerous journey.”

Saturday’s tragedy occurred when the boat capsized as dozens of people attempted the deceptively short crossing from the Turkish coast to the Greek island of Lesbos, barely five miles away.

More than 250 migrants have drowned already this month trying to reach one of Greece’s offshore islands, entry point to the European Union and its uncertain promise of refuge from war and poverty.

The Turkish coast guard said three ships, a helicopter and team of divers searched the partially submerged craft and surrounding seas for more bodies, as police on shore placed bodies, some 10 children among them, in black bags.

Advertisement

Journalists at the scene tried to interview some of the 75 survivors, but police took them away in buses, some bound for a local hospital to be treated for hypothermia and other injuries, others into police custody for questioning.

A Turkish government official said that by the late afternoon rescuers had recovered bodies trapped inside the wreckage of the 56-foot boat, which sank shortly after departing from the shore near the Aegean resort of Ayvacik, raising the death toll to 37.

Saim Eskioglu, deputy governor for the coastal Canakkale province that includes Ayvacik, said the boat “hit rocks soon after it left the coast.”

“There were around 10 children among the dead,” Eskioglu said. “Four of them, unfortunately, were babies about 1 or 2 years old. We are deeply saddened.”

Eskioglu and Ayvacik’s mayor, Mehmet Unal Sahin, said most of the migrants were Syrians. The Anadolu Agency said the boat also bore natives of Afghanistan and Myanmar.

A private Turkish news agency, Dogan, said police arrested a Turkish man suspected of being the smuggler who organized Saturday’s failed crossing. The man denied responsibility, telling the Dogan agency that he also had relatives on board.

Weather conditions did not appear to be a significant factor in the sinking.

The International Organization for Migration says drowning deaths are running at four times the rate of 2015, when many thousands daily sought to enter the European Union via Turkey by reaching one of more than a dozen offshore Greek islands, chiefly Lesbos.

Advertisement

The agency recorded 805 drowning deaths of migrants on Turkey-Greece sea routes throughout 2015, and a further 218 this month alone excluding those from Saturday’s tragedy.

Joel Millman, an IOM spokesman, said the death toll was “increasing at an alarming rate.” He said it was all the more surprising, given that fewer people are attempting the crossing during winter.

ALSO

Syria peace talks include secret guest list and possibly theatrics

EU police warn of more Islamic State attempts at large-scale attacks

Video shows Paris attackers committing earlier Islamic State atrocities


Advertisement