Advertisement
World & Nation

U.S. starts Iraq drawdown after defeat of Islamic State group

In this Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017 photo, U.S. Marines prepares to build a military site in western Anba
U.S. Marines prepare to build a military site in western Anbar, Iraq, on Nov. 7, 2017.
(Khalid Mohammed / Associated Press)

Western contractors at a U.S.-led coalition base in Iraq say American troops have started to draw down from the country after the defeat of the Islamic State group.

U.S. soldiers, weapons and equipment are being transported out of Iraq to Afghanistan, the contractors said. Dozens of American soldiers have left on daily flights over the last week.

Two Iraqi officials told the Associated Press that the U.S.-led coalition has reached an agreement to draw down its troops in Iraq for the first time since the war against Islamic State was launched more than three years ago.

An AP reporter at the base saw troop movements matching the officials’ account.

Advertisement

The contractors and officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations and declined to reveal the exact size of the drawdown.


Advertisement