Harvey Cohen

A $75,000 reward is being offered for information regarding the killing of Harvey Cohen, 80. (KTLA)

A $75,000 reward was offered Friday for information in the fatal shooting last year of an 80-year-old man in his Encino home, officials said. 

The city of Los Angeles is offering $50,000 for information leading to the identity and arrest of suspects in the Sept. 19 killing of Harvey Cohen, 80. The victim’s family added $25,000 to the reward.

“Someone came into our home and murdered my 80-year-old defenseless husband. What kind of person would do such a thing?” Sandra Cohen said Friday in a news conference.

HOMICIDE REPORT: A story for every victim

Officials offered few details about the investigation. No suspect information was available, and there were few leads, said Los Angeles Police Department Officer Bruce Borihanh.

Cohen died at a hospital after suffering a single gunshot during a possible home invasion in the 5300 block of Andasol Avenue. Cohen’s wife went downstairs after she heard a noise in the early morning  hours and found her husband on the floor.

Cohen had apparently confronted the suspect as he entered the home about 2:30 a.m., police said.

Only two homicides have occurred within one mile of the incident since 2007, according to The Times Homicide Report database.

ALSO:

Twitter critics take on LAPD after NY police hit on social media

Teenage girl killed in walk-up shooting at apartment; gunman at large

After secret air surveillance of Compton, mayor wants protections

Twitter: @Sam_Schaefer

Samantha.Schaefer@latimes.com