Janet Williams was with her daughters having lighthearted conversation and a cup of hot chocolate in Laguna Niguel when a marshmallow became lodged in her throat and she was unable to breathe.
Her daughter's 911 call on Sunday morning became a lifeline.
Orange County Fire Authority dispatcher David Paschke was the hero in this scenario, which rapidly became life-threatening for Janet Williams and terrifying for Gina Williams and her sister, says OCFA spokesman Steve Concialdi.
Janet Williams, who is in her 60s, is a retired nurse, Concialdi told the L.A. Times. "Unfortunately her daughters did not know how to do the Heimlich maneuver."
They do now.
Listen to the audio below.
Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times