Firefighter hurt in two-alarm house fire in San Diego

Firefighter hurt at house fire but dog saved by a 'dog-mask'

A firefighter was injured and a family dog killed Saturday when a two-alarm fire engulfed a house in the Clairemont neighborhood of San Diego.

The owners were not at home when the fire, thought to have been caused by an electrical malfunction, broke out shortly before noon. The fire did an estimated $300,000 damage to the house and $100,000 to the contents, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

The firefighter suffered second-degree burns on one side of his waist and was taken to the UC San Diego burn center.

A second dog survived after firefighter Mitch Mendler used a "dog-mask" to give oxygen to the animal. Dog-masks have been donated to the department. The masks also work with cats.


Copyright © 2018, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World