Prosecutors decline to charge man allegedly beaten by LAPD

L.A. County prosecutors decline to file charges against man allegedly beaten by LAPD officers

Los Angeles County prosecutors have declined to pursue a case against a man who was allegedly beaten by police while being held down by officers last month. 

In an earlier interview with The Times, Clinton Alford, 22, said he was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk along Avalon Boulevard near 55th Street on Oct. 16 when a car pulled up behind him.

A man shouted a command to stop, but Alford said he continued pedaling because the man did not identify himself as a police officer. When someone grabbed the back of the bike, Alford said he jumped off and ran.

After a short foot pursuit, two officers caught up to Alford, he said. Another officer arrived and began beating Alford, who said he was lying on the ground and was handcuffed.  Alford was booked on suspicion of drug possession and resisting arrest, but a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office said charges were dismissed Friday after prosecutors were unable to proceed. Alford filed a civil suit against the Police Department over the incident. The four officers involved in the arrest and a sergeant who arrived on scene afterward have been relieved of duty with pay as the department investigates the incident.

Police Chief Charlie Beck released a statement last month saying he was “extremely concerned about this particular use of force.”

“This investigation is ongoing, and there is still much that needs to be done to determine the facts of this matter, but let me be very clear, any officer that is found to abuse the public is not welcome in this department, and we will apply whatever legal or administrative means necessary to ensure the community’s trust without exception,” Beck said.

Twitter: latjasonsong

 

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
48°