"We are not out of the woods yet," she said.
In San Marcos alone, the 800-acre Cocos fire was just 5% contained as firefighters increased their air attack. Officials said evacuation notices covering 13,000 homes and businesses in San Marcos had been issued. Meanwhile, hundreds of people were checked into shelters, waiting for word on the status their homes.
Rebecca Kuritz, 35, was at home with her 15-year-old son Wednesday afternoon when she realized there was a fire headed straight toward their San Marcos complex.
"People were running out of our complex," Kuritz said. "Running."
She grabbed her son and left with only one shoe on.
"I've lost enough stuff in my life, I just wanted to get out of there," Kuritz said. "It's just stressful. You realize what's really important really quick."
She recalled evacuating during three previous fires, including one in 2007 in which she lost her childhood home in San Marcos' Elfin Forest.
As of Thursday morning, three structures had been destroyed and an additional one damaged by the Cocos fire, which officials said had become their No. 1 priority.
The state's fire condition has been extremely high due to drought conditions and strong Santa Ana winds, Cal Fire spokesman Daniel Berlant said in a video address Thursday.
Firefighters responded to nearly three dozen fires on Wednesday and are still battling eight active blazes in Southern California, seven of them in San Diego County, which combined have charred more than 10,000 acres, he said.
"Already this year, Cal Fire has responded to an over 100% increase in the number of wildfires than average," Berlant said.
The fires were more proof that California's drought conditions have created a year-round fire season.
"It starts with the drought," Berlant said. "The grass, the brush and the trees -- not only in San Diego County, really across California -- are really dry."
Fire crews can expect some short-term relief over the weekend, when a badly needed cool-down was expected to occur, forecasters said.