• Last January, the
• The NCAA last summer cleared the way for conferences to use TV revenue to provide an additional annual stipend to the basic athletic scholarship. The additional amount, estimated to range between $2,000 and $5,000 per student depending on the school, is a major step forward to addressing financial inequities in collegiate athletics. Another perk is a plan to guarantee athletic scholarships for four years.
• Many USC fans were thrilled when Pat Haden fired
• With only four spots available in the first College Football Playoff, it was inevitable one of the five major conference champions was going to be disappointed. The
• USC Athletic Director Haden was summoned from the press box to the field by Steve Sarkisian during a game at Stanford after the first-year coach had been hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Haden confronted game officials, a move marginally understandable as an AD protecting his coach, but totally unbecoming as a member of the College Football Playoff selection committee. Haden apologized and was fined $25,000 by the Pac-12.
• Last spring, a few months after winning the Heisman Trophy and leading Florida State to the national title,
• Several prominent players were sidelined by injuries this season, including Ohio State's top two quarterbacks. No injury was more heart wrenching than the broken leg