Toys R Us introduces layaway program
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
Toys R Us rolled out a layaway program today aimed at helping shoppers budget their spending during the holidays.
The program, which is available in Toys R Us and Babies R Us stores nationwide, allows shoppers to pick out gifts early and make a series of small payments over an extended period.
“The program offers added convenience and flexibility, providing customers another option for budgeting their holiday spending and allowing them to make smaller payments over time,” said Jerry Storch, chief executive of Toys R Us.
Toys R Us layaway categories include:
• Battery-powered ride-on vehicles
• Play kitchens
• Outdoor play equipment and play sets, including metal gym sets, wood gym sets, trampolines, houses, teeter-totters and climbers
• Pools and water slides
• Preschool ride-ons, such as cozy coupes, horses, metal tricycles and wagons
• Basketball systems
• Karaoke machines
• Keyboards and other musical instruments for toddlers to teens
• Indoor table games, including air hockey, foosball and table tennis
Babies R Us layaway categories include:
• Infant and toddler furniture
• Car seats
• Play yards
• Strollers and travel systems
Placing a product on layaway requires a deposit of 20% of the total purchase, including all applicable taxes, and a $10 service charge. Payments may be made at the store at any time in the form of cash, check, credit card, debit card or gift card. Merchandise will be made available within seven to 10 days of final payment, so items must be paid for in full by Dec. 6 to ensure that the gift is available for pickup before Christmas.
-- Andrea Chang