MLB investigates Alex Rodriguez for alleged high-stakes gambling
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
Alex Rodriguez is the subject of a Major League Baseball investigation for his alleged participation in high-stakes underground poker games, the league said Wednesday.
The New York Yankees third baseman is said to have played at least twice -- including in one game that involved several high-profile actors, cocaine and hundreds of thousands of dollars at the Beverly Hills mansion of a record executive -- according to reports published by multiple sources.
A story published on RadarOnline.com said that Rodriguez “tried to distance himself from the game” when a fight almost broke out.
“We’re talking to people involved in the investigation and we’re taking this very seriously,” an MLB executive told ESPN New York. “Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play.”
In 2005 the Yankees and Commissioner Bud Selig warned Rodriguez about gambling in underground poker clubs, saying dealings with people who might also bet on baseball games could result in a lifetime ban from baseball. “We take this very seriously and have been investigating this matter since the initial allegation,” the league said in a statement. “As part of the investigation, the Commissioner’s Office will interview Mr. Rodriguez.”
Rodriguez is currently recovering from knee surgery last month and had been expected to be able to rejoin the team in a couple of weeks.
-- Chuck Schilken
The Sports Xchange and Reuters contributed to this report.