Advertisement

Pacquiao wants Marquez again before facing Mayweather, Arum says

Share

This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.

Manny Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, said Monday the Filipino superstar would prefer his next bout to be a fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez rather than a super-fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

‘That fight [against Mayweather] can still be there for us’ a year from now, Arum told The Times.

Advertisement

Pacquiao, the promoter said, feels that his controversial, majority decision over Marquez on Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas ‘did not have the finish he wanted,’ and justifies a fourth fight between the combatants.

Pacquiao, 32, and Marquez, 38, previously fought to a draw in 2004 and a split decision won by Pacquiao in 2008.

Marquez said he was so frustated by the judging of his impressive showing Saturday that he was pondering retirement.

Arum doesn’t believe Marquez will retire with the promise of more riches in addition to his payout from Saturday’s fight, which could reach $10 million based on estimates of a large pay-per-view audience.

As for Mayweather, Arum said it’s his understanding that the unbeaten world welterweight champion has secured the MGM Grand for a early May date.

So Arum said he would stage Pacquiao-Marquez IV in April or June, either at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas or a specially constructed outdoor venue paid for by ‘the other casinos’ in Las Vegas.

‘Like we did in the old days, at Caesars Palace,’ Arum said. ‘Awesome.’

For his fight, Mayweather would select from a field likely to include Amir Khan, Andre Berto, Sergio Martinez, Robert Guerrero or the unbeaten Tim Bradley.

RELATED:

Pacquiao vs. Marquez: Round-by-round recap

Manny Pacquiao doesn’t look much like a champion

Marquez an appetizer for fans who want Pacquiao-Mayweather

— Lance Pugmire


Advertisement