Chauncey Billups OK with playing for Clippers
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
In the end, after much soul-searching with his own support group, after coming to grips with his fate, Chauncey Billups said he’s now happy to be a Los Angeles Clipper.
He didn’t always feel that way.
Not after the New York Knicks used the new “amnesty” provision on him to waive the 35-year-old Billups. And not after the Clippers won the waiver auction bid by spending a little more than $2 million to acquire Billups Monday.
Billups had threatened to retire if a team he didn’t want to play for picked him up, something he reiterated at his news conference Friday at the team’s training facility.
Yes, Billups answered when asked, he seriously considered leaving the game he has spent 13 years playing. Billups said he wanted to control “my own destiny,” and that had been taken out of his hands by the Clippers.
But after talking with his family and mentors for a few days, Billups decided to join the Clippers.
“I’m a Clipper and I’m happy to be here,” Billups said. “It could have been much worse. But this is really a good situation. These guys, I don’t really feel like it’s a rebuilding situation. I think these guys are ready to take the next leap and hopefully I can help with that.”
-- Broderick Turner