Advertisement
Share

5 Polish soldiers killed in Afghanistan; Poles’ worst loss of war

This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.

REPORTING FROM KABUL, AFGHANISTAN -- A roadside bomb killed five Polish soldiers in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, officials said, marking that country’s largest single troop loss of the 10-year-old war. The Taliban claimed responsibility.

The attack took place in the Rauza district of Ghazni province, south of the capital, Kabul, officials said. The area has seen a surge in insurgent activity this year, and Western military commanders describe it as one of the most dangerous in Afghanistan.

A provincial spokesman, Hazrat Moammad Ghaznawi, said the blast was so powerful it broke the Polish troops’ armored vehicle into several pieces. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed that seven Polish soldiers had been killed, but the group often exaggerates the effectiveness of its attacks.

NATO’s International Security Assistance Force did not release any details about the incident or disclose the nationalities of the five who were killed. Polish media quoted the country’s Defense Ministry as confirming they were Poles.

Advertisement

The Polish contingent in Afghanistan numbers nearly 2,600. Taliban fighters sometimes target the smaller countries in the U.S.-led coalition, hoping to drive a wedge between allies. Poland had previously announced plans to begin trimming the size of its force.

ALSO:

Piers Morgan denies involvement in British phone hacking

New protests against development break out in southern China

Philippine floods: More coffins needed as death toll nears 1,000

-- Laura King


Advertisement