Turban Is a Chic Way to Hide Hair Loss

Times Fashion Editor

Question: A friend recently underwent chemotherapy, and we have tried in vain to find turbans to cover her hair. Is there a source for a pattern? Or is there a place to buy one ready-made? We don't want a terry-cloth type. We want something smart; you know, something like Lana Turner or Maria Montez would have worn in their movies.--J.L.T.

Answer: The Turner- and Montez-worthy turban illustrated here is available in pink, white, black, red, bone, light blue and navy for $19. It's made of a silken polyester with a cotton/rayon lining, and it's available in small (head sizes 22-22 1/2) and medium (23-23 1/2). To order, write to Regalia, Palo Verde and 33rd streets, P. O. Box 27800, Tucson 85726.

Q: We leave May 24 for a TWA Egyptian tour that includes a seven-day cruise of the Nile. The tour book says the welcome and farewell dinners are formal. What exactly does that mean for me and my husband? For these events, can my husband wear the navy blazer, medium gray slacks and gray shoes he plans to wear elsewhere? Or must he have an outfit including white pants and white shoes? Will a magenta crinkle-cotton caftan be adequate for me if I wear it with sandals? Or is it too informal? What about a dressy sundress? We are packing for a six-week trip that goes from Egypt to Finland. Our European adventure will be via Eurail pass--no formal parties planned. Just sightseeing. We do not want to take one bit of clothing we can't use elsewhere in Europe. We are well-equipped for our daytime sightseeing.--P.P.

A: Arlene Buckley of TWA Tours says formal means a suit or a sport coat and tie for your husband and a cocktail dress for you. Your husband's navy blazer and gray slacks will be fine, but black shoes would be more functional and more fashionable than gray. Your caftan sounds a little too housebound for the occasion, and you certainly could not wear it sightseeing, so why don't you opt for the sundress that you might also wear to museums and ruins? If you can find one in a dark cotton, it could also qualify as a cocktail dress. Some museums, churches and ruins require women to have their shoulders covered, so be sure to bring a shawl.

Q: I am in need of a company that will do pleating. Can you help?--H.D.P.

A: A-1 Pleating, 8426 1/2 West 3rd St., does all kinds of pleating except permanent pleating. Fortuny-style pleating costs $11 per yard of fabric. And 1/8- to 1/2-inch knife or box pleating, or a combination thereof, is $7 per yard. Prices for sunburst accordion pleating (also called crystal pleating) range from $4 for fabrics that are 12 inches to $48 for 70-inch (cape length) fabrics. Allow one week for pleating, and remember that three yards of fabric become one yard after pleating, so bring three times as much fabric as your pleating order requires. This company also covers buttons and makes belts to order.

Q: My daughter found the perfect dress for her May wedding--perfect with one exception, that is. Iridescent sequins and pearls have been glued to the heavy lace bodice. The store says it will not be possible to order the gown without this trim. My question is: Can the sequins and pearls be safely removed?--M.L.

A: Jerry Goldstone of Museum Textile Cleaners in Northridge says he would have to test the gown. "Most of the time, glue will dissolve with the proper solvent," Goldstone reports. "And sometimes the glue will come off in a simple allover dry cleaning. If M.L. can bring the gown in, I will be glad to give her my opinion."

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World