3 Charged in Robbery, Slaying at Mini-Mart
Two men were arraigned last week in Santa Monica Municipal Court in the robbery-murder of David A. Bellet, 22-year-old manager of the AM-PM Mini Mart at 332 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica police said Mark Anthony Ballou, 25, of Santa Monica and Anthony Neal Williams, 25, of Los Angeles, a co-worker of Bellet, were arraigned on charges of robbery and first-degree murder with special circumstances--which makes them eligible, if convicted, for the death penalty. A third suspect, Elie Davis, 30, of Los Angeles, also a co-worker of Bellet, also was charged with robbery in the Sept. 16 incident.
Police released Namon Lavon Tompson, 25, of Santa Monica, who had been arrested as a suspect about a week ago. They said they determined that he had nothing to do with the crime.
Struck in Back of Head
Homicide Detective Shane Talbot said Williams and Davis were working with Bellet at the mini-mart on the day of the attack. Talbot said Bellet was struck in the back of the head with a baseball bat as he got into his car outside the market to take the store’s receipts to the bank.
Bellet, of Palms, died the next day of massive head injuries at Santa Monica Hospital.
Witnesses chased the assailant for a few blocks but lost him in an apartment building. Police said approximately $8,000 in cash was stolen.
Talbot said witnesses provided information that led to Ballou and that he implicated Williams and Davis. Talbot said Williams and Davis continued to work at the market after Bellet’s death and attended his funeral.
Williams and Ballou are being held without bail and Davis’ bail is set at $50,000.