Advertisement

Infant Dies After Surgical Fire

A premature infant died after being critically burned when a searing flash ignited an electrical instrument during surgery this morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in the West Hollywood area. The unidentified child suffered burns over 50% of his body, said hospital spokesman Ron Wise.

Wise said the accident occurred as a five-member medical team was using an electric cauterizer to seal a blood vessel during surgery just before 8:30 a.m. None of the doctors or nurses were injured. “We are unable at this time to explain how this happened,” Wise said.


Advertisement