The Assembly on Thursday overwhelmingly gave final approval to a bill to set aside $15 million--the state's final share--to settle lawsuits stemming from a 1983 landslide in the Big Rock Mesa area of Malibu.
The bill, by Sen. Gary K. Hart (D-Santa Barbara), who represents the district, was approved by a 71-0 margin and now goes to Gov. George Deukmejian for his signature. The governor's press secretary, Kevin Brett, said Deukmejian intends to sign it.
Thursday's action was a step toward completing a $97-million settlement between the state, Los Angeles County and insurance companies.
The state Department of Transportation was found liable by a Superior Court jury of contributing to the landslide by cutting through a hillside to build Pacific Coast Highway. The state's share of the settlement is $40 million, of which $25 million was paid last year.
After the vote, Assemblyman Tom Hayden (D-Santa Monica), who handled the bill on the Assembly floor, said, "I think this matter is put to rest."