Eight candidates running for two seats on the Glendale City Council are expected to present their platforms and answer questions at a series of public forums in March.
Candidates John Beach, Eileen Givens, Shirley Griffin, Dick Matthews, Mary Ann Plumley, Mary Ann Prelock, Bob Torres and Mayor Larry Zarian will address such issues as growth, water, preservation of undeveloped hillside land and the future of the city’s transportation system.
Four candidates vying for seats on the Glendale Board of Education and three running for the Glendale Community College Board of Trustees will appear at several of those forums.
Two seats on each board are up for grabs in the April 2 election. Board of Education incumbents Sharon Beauchamp and Blanch Greenwood are competing against Robert Burlison and Peter Musurlian, while Don Pearson is challenging college board incumbents Rae Berry and Robert Holmes.
CANDIDATES FORUMS The following candidate forums are free and open to the public:
* Monday: Sponsored by the Glendale Board of Realtors for council candidates only, 6 p.m., Glendale Centre Theater, 324 N. Orange St.
* Monday: Sponsored by the Verdugo Hills Democratic Club for school board candidates only, 7 p.m., Montrose branch of the Glendale Public Library, 2465 Honolulu Ave.
* Wednesday: Sponsored by the Glendale Historical Society for council candidates, 7 p.m., Glendale Board of Education office, 223 N. Jackson St.
* March 11: Sponsored by the Republican Women’s Study Club for council, school and college board candidates, 12:45 p.m., YWCA, 735 E. Lexington Drive.
* March 11: Sponsored by the Glenmore Canyon Homeowners and the College Hills Community associations for council candidates, 7 p.m., Glendale Adventist Academy, 700 Kimlin Drive.
* March 15: Sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Glendale for council candidates, 11:45 a.m., Tuesday Afternoon Club, 319 N. Central Ave.
* March 15: Sponsored by the Glendale Homeowners Coordinating Council for council candidates, 7 p.m., Glendale Community College’s Kreider Hall, 1500 N. Verdugo Road.
* March 19: Sponsored by the Chevy Chase Homeowners Assn. for council candidates, 6:30 p.m., 2015 E. Glenoaks Blvd.
* March 20: Sponsored by the Republican Women’s Workshop for council, school and college board candidates, 10:30 a.m., Tuesday Afternoon Club.
* March 20: Sponsored by parents of Muir Elementary School students for school board candidates, 7:30 p.m. A location has not yet been chosen.
* March 22: Sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Glendale for school and college board candidates, 11:45 a.m., Tuesday Afternoon Club.
* March 23: Sponsored by the Greater Glendale Council on Aging for council candidates, 10 a.m., Glendale Central Library, 222 E. Harvard St.
* March 26: Sponsored by the League of Women Voters for school and college board candidates, 6:30 p.m., Board of Education office.
* March 26: Sponsored by the Glenoaks Canyon Homeowners Assn. for council candidates, 7:30 p.m., Glenoaks Park clubhouse in the 2600 block of Glenoaks Boulevard.
* March 27: Sponsored by the League of Women Voters for council candidates, 6:30 p.m., Glendale Central Library.