State Investigates Man’s Death
Cal/OSHA officials said last week that they are investigating the death of a 29-year-old man who was killed at a Hawthorne soap manufactur ing plant after he became entangled in a mixing machine.
Oswaldo Mijangos of Los Angeles died instantly when he was caught in a machine used to mix laundry detergent chemicals at Chemrite Corp. on Daphne Avenue, according to Hawthorne authorities. The accident occurred March 15 at about 8:30 p.m.
Firefighters said Mijangos apparently caught his arm in the machine while he was adding chemicals to it. Mijangos’ body was pulled into the machine and he was crushed before other workers could turn it off.
Mijangos, who worked the night shift, had worked at the company for about three years, according to Chemrite owner Gary Bennett.