2 Children Killed in Mobile Home Fire

A fire caused by clothing heaped on electrical wires swept through a mobile home in Carson, killing two children and injuring a neighbor who tried to rescue them, authorities said Friday.

The blaze at the Shangrila Lodge mobile home park was reported just before midnight Thursday and was extinguished in 10 minutes, said Karina Zapata, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Matthew Franceour, 3, and his 1 1/2-year-old sister, Amanda, were killed.

The man who tried to rescue them received burns over 20% of his body, Sheriff's Deputy John Ashley said. Steve Holodnak, 34, was in serious condition at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, said Laurie Lundberg, a hospital spokeswoman. Tracy Hall, 21, who lived in the trailer and was watching the children, escaped unharmed along with her 1 1/2-year-old son, Ashley said.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
60°