* WALK OF FAME: Approved a request to place the name of sportscaster Jim Healy along the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The installation will be at 11:30 a.m. Nov. 7 at 6740 Hollywood Blvd.
* TAX OFFICE: Agreed to open an temporary field office in the Pico-Robertson area where merchants will be able to pay their annual business taxes. The office at 1425 S. Wooster Ave., donated for city use by the Menorah Housing Foundation, will be open during the month of February. Business taxes must be paid each year between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28.
* REWARD: Offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the identification and capture of the person who murdered a Baldwin Hills man outside his home in August. Entertainment consultant James Kendricks, 53, was shot by a lone gunman. Kendricks’s wife and daughter witnessed the attack.
* OIL WELL: Ordered soil analysis around an abandoned oil well on Venice Beach. Damson Oil Corp. shut down the well on the sand near Ocean Front Walk and Market Street this summer. City officials are negotiating to have the company, which has filed for reorganization under federal bankruptcy laws, remove its remaining equipment and clean up any contaminated soil. The council allocated $30,000 for the analysis and potential cleanup costs not paid by Damson Oil.
* GARCIA WALK: Councilman Michael Woo asked the council to authorize the closure of a Silver Lake walkway that has been plagued by trash dumping and criminal activity. Garcia Walk connects Vendome and Reno streets, just south of Sunset Boulevard. Woo asked that the walk be gated, with keys provided only to neighboring residents.
HOW THEY VOTED
* HOMELESS SHELTER: Approved the renewal of a rent-free lease agreement with the Mini-Twelve Step House to operate a shelter at 1143 W. 37th Place for homeless women, who are recovering from alcohol and drug dependency. The building is owned by the city. The shelter has been operated by the organization since 1988. The current one-year lease will expire in June, 1992. Passed 12 to 0.
Voting yes: Marvin Braude, John Ferraro, Ruth Galanter, Michael Woo and Zev Yaroslavsky. Nate Holden and Joel Wachs were absent.