COUNTYWIDE : Towing Firms Offer Revelers Free Service
Fourteen towing services in Ventura County are offering a free tow for those too impaired by alcohol to drive home after New Year’s celebrations.
The campaign to “Get T.O.W.E.D.,” or Towing Operators Working to Eliminate Drunk Driving, is billed as a free ride home for drivers and their cars. The service is available on a 24-hour basis through Thursday.
“We’d rather go out and tow them home for free than go out later and tow what’s left,” said Dan McLaren, president of Airport Chevron & Towing Inc. of Oxnard.
“We would rather have these people call us” than try to drive home drunk, said Joe Bentz, manager of Bob Carlson Automotive & Towing in Ventura.
Bentz said his garage helped a dozen drivers last year. “It’s done as a public service, and I hope more people respond this year,” he said.
Those offering the free service are:
* Ventura: Larry’s Towing & Transport, Double R Towing, Bob Carlson Automotive & Towing.
* Westlake Village: Sierra Towing.
* Ojai: Adamson Automotive & Towing, Ojai Towing.
* Camarillo: Jim’s Emergency Road Service, Roadway Towing & Storage.
* Santa Paula: Steve’s Towing.
* Simi Valley: Swink’s Simi Valley Towing, Dave’s Club Service.
* Oxnard: Airport Chevron & Towing, McCarty & Sons Towing, Owl Towing & Storage.