Endre Granat, concertmaster of the Pacific Symphony: "These are five works that are very deep and mean something very special to me."
* Verdi's Requiem: "This is one of the greatest 'operas' ever written, one of the greatest musical dramas."
* Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet": "I feel that the composer's skill has been totally in service to his genius."
* Brahms' Symphony No. 1. "There is not a single note written in vain."
* Beethoven's String Quartet No. 16, Opus 135: "It has the most gorgeous slow movement ever written by any mortal."
* Wagner's "Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg": "I think that it's the most perfect opera. But we'll never hear it in Orange County because there is not enough room in the (Performing Arts Center) orchestra pit for the size of the orchestra needed."